Issues with your cat climbing a tree?

Shortie

I have been lucky in that Smokey was not much of a tree climber when we had her but I always remember a cat we had as a family pet when I was a child, she was fond of climbing trees and it was the reason her first owner gave her up because she used to climb a tree and being the owner was older, it was too much for her to handle. 

I remember once incident we had with Nala when she got herself so high up in a tree near where we lived, she couldn't get back down and my dad had to use a ladder and climb up to get her. I always remember my dad shouting to my mum "catch" and dropping her to my mum, claws came out and my mum's arm got scratched pretty badly. The tree was finally cut down and it never happened again.

Have you had a cat or do you have a cat that likes to climb trees? Have you had any issues with them climbing trees? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shortie said:

Have you had a cat or do you have a cat that likes to climb trees? Have you had any issues with them climbing trees? 

Alice climbed a tree and got stuck in the tree. Thankfully she was not high up and my daughter was able to climb up and get her down.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

My friends don't let their cats out, so the only thing they climb is those towers that can be set up for them to rest on.

We don't let our cats out either, Alice snuck out of the window LOL. That was the only time she got out since being domesticated. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:54 AM, Demon_skeith said:

My friends don't let their cats out, so the only thing they climb is those towers that can be set up for them to rest on.

This is the best way to stop this from happening. My mother had to call in an emergency one time when her cat climbed up a tree so high it refused to come down on her own. It was a big scare for her that very day. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

My mother had to call in an emergency one time when her cat climbed up a tree so high it refused to come down on her own. It was a big scare for her that very day.

I can only imagine how scary that must have been for her. I would probably cry my eyes out if one of our girls got stuck high in a tree and refused to come down.

I don't let my cats outside, well Mochi goes outside in a harness but he's not allowed to roam outside because I'm afraid he'll get hurt or hurt another animal. So I never had any of my cats get stuck in a tree. We did have a outdoor cat once named Ashes, but he never climbed trees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ravenfreak said:

Mochi goes outside in a harness

How is Mochi in the harness? Will he walk with you? Or do you have to carry him? I know Alice And Missy would both be cowering in the cornet lol. They would absoulty hate being in a harness and outside.

1 minute ago, Soulwatcher said:

How is Mochi in the harness? Will he walk with you? Or do you have to carry him? I know Alice And Missy would both be cowering in the cornet lol. They would absoulty hate being in a harness and outside.

He walks around a little bit but most of the time he lays down lol. Took him a little bit to get used to the harness. My wife and I haven't tried walking around the backyard, but our backyard doesn't have a fence so I'm a bit weary about doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravenfreak said:

My wife and I haven't tried walking around the backyard, but our backyard doesn't have a fence so I'm a bit weary about doing that.

Because of stray animals? If so I sure wouldn't take any chances. We don't even have a yard here we live in a highrise so there wouldn't be anywhere to walk Alice or Missy if we even wanted to try a harness.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:29 AM, Heatman said:

This is the best way to stop this from happening. My mother had to call in an emergency one time when her cat climbed up a tree so high it refused to come down on her own. It was a big scare for her that very day. 

Couldn't give it some kind of really good food to get it to come down?