Afraid to pet feral cats?

Demon_skeith

6 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Per the title, I've seen cats go into sewers and come back out. Would you ever be afraid to pet a feral cat?

I have seen some feral cats that are mean if you try to corner them, but I wouldn't be afraid to pet a feral cat if a feral walked up to me and started rubbing on my legs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I have a co-worker that lived in a trailer park full of cats and would join others in leaving food out for them, this would lead the cats to petting them from what I hear.

I love hearing stories like this, I just want to say thank you to your co-worker and the other people leaving food for the ferals.

• Like 1

Cautious, but never afraid.

My family home, which one of my brothers and one of my sisters still live in, used to have feral cats. We would "TNR" them, which is trap, neuter, return. We had 13 at one point. We got them all spayed and neutered (the only male for YEARS) and fed them all daily. My brother had pretty much solely covered the cost of all the cats over the years. There has been at least 20 total. There are now 3 left and two of them are in their mid teens. One is about 5. My sister feeds them twice a day, wet and dry food. Two of them come in the basement on hot or cold days. Any who wanted to were always welcome to, there's just a few left now. Feral cats don't have a long survival rate. Too many dangers out there. One of them was one of my 3 soul cats. Sunshine, my orange little girl kitty 🐈 Pic of me and her 

FB_IMG_1705932880314.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toletia said:

Cautious, but never afraid.

My family home, which one of my brothers and one of my sisters still live in, used to have feral cats. We would "TNR" them, which is trap, neuter, return. We had 13 at one point. We got them all spayed and neutered (the only male for YEARS) and fed them all daily. My brother had pretty much solely covered the cost of all the cats over the years. There has been at least 20 total. There are now 3 left and two of them are in their mid teens. One is about 5. My sister feeds them twice a day, wet and dry food. Two of them come in the basement on hot or cold days. Any who wanted to were always welcome to, there's just a few left now. Feral cats don't have a long survival rate. Too many dangers out there. One of them was one of my 3 soul cats. Sunshine, my orange little girl kitty 🐈 Pic of me and her 

FB_IMG_1705932880314.jpg

Denver is such a nice guy with a good kind heart for taking care of all of those feral cats. And I am so sorry about Sunshine, I miss her as well I still remember you guys singing you are my Sunshine.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

I love hearing stories like this, I just want to say thank you to your co-worker and the other people leaving food for the ferals.

It is nice, she would often go over to a friend's place and somehow bringing home a cat the friend found along the way.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 1:54 AM, Demon_skeith said:

It is nice, she would often go over to a friend's place and somehow bringing home a cat the friend found along the way.

Awww...... did she get them adopted or does she have a house full of cats?

12 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

Awww...... did she get them adopted or does she have a house full of cats?

Well she did have a trailer full of cats and then did a Brady Bunch thing and moved in with a guy who has a house full of cats plus barn cats. Truly a cat lady now lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Well, she did have a trailer full of cats and then did a Brady Bunch thing and moved in with a guy who has a house full of cats plus barn cats. Truly a cat lady now lol.

Oh wow lol sounds like a house full of cats. I bet their cat food bill is insane. Our girls eat $50 a month.

I and my daughter are huge cat lovers and it is never nice to see a feral cat outside, they are always so scared and worried and it's not something as a cat lover you want to see. 

My daughter and I are always cautious when petting a feral cat, but we wouldn't say we are scared to pet a feral cat. I know my daughter petted a cat that we knew a few years ago that has now become feral and he did scratch her slightly out of fear, we made sure she cleaned the scratch fully and did anything else that was advised. She is now cautious even with the same cat when we see him around. 

• Like 1

You always need to be very cautious and calm with a stray cat as you don't know what they've been through and how they react. Plus if they have kittens in the area, they will naturally be a lot more aggressive towards you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm thinking feral cats could have rabies.  In that case, it's maybe not a wise idea.  Anyway, though, it could be overkill.

They could have rabies but it doesn't mean they do have rabies. Just use caution, if I cat seems aggressive stay away.

As long as a feral cat isn’t aggressive, I’m not afraid of it. I’ll even give it some treats. A lot of feral cats that I’ve come across over the years have been friendly, but there have been a couple that were aggressive.

• Like 1