Feeding a Cat the Dog Food

Jason

Dog and cat food are different for a reason.  In fact, the nutrition needed by cats is not in dog food, and vice versa.  Do you all feed cats dog food or dogs cat food? 

Edited by Jason

• Jason changed the title to Feeding a Cat the Dog Food
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Dog and cat food are different for a reason.  In fact, the nutrition needed by cats is not in dog food, and vice versa.  Do you all feed cats dog food or dogs cat food? 

No, we do not feed our cats dog food. Because like you said, a cat's nutrition needs differ from a dog's needs.

23 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

I don't know why cats steal dog food and dogs steal cat food it has to be jealousy. 

My dog tried to do that when we had my sister’s cats and they tried to get at her food too. Not sure why either. They both had a full bowls too. I guess they wanted to show each other who was boss🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cpvr said:

My dog tried to do that when we had my sister’s cats and they tried to get at her food too. Not sure why either. They both had a full bowls too. I guess they wanted to show each other who was boss🤣🤣

Definitely a jealousy thing for sure.

As much as I know it can be tempting for people to feed cats dog food and vice versa, it could affect the cat and their health due to the different nutrition needs between the two. 

I have known dogs to steal cat food and cats to steal dog food before, it happens very little and should not effect the animal but it is wise to keep an eye on them to be sure they are not always doing it and eating what their body needs.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shortie said:

As much as I know it can be tempting for people to feed cats dog food and vice versa, it could affect the cat and their health due to the different nutrition needs between the two. 

I have known dogs to steal cat food and cats to steal dog food before, it happens very little and should not effect the animal but it is wise to keep an eye on them to be sure they are not always doing it and eating what their body needs.  

Our daughter has 4 cats and a dog. The dog might try to steal their food, if she thinks she can get away with it lol, but the cats would rather starve than eat her dog food lol. 

• Haha 1