How often do you groom your cat's nails?

Our Alice and Missy get their nails trimmed every week or two. It just depends on if they are sharp or not. Alice is an angel and lets you trim her nail any time of the day. Missy, however, has to be in the mood, or she will throw a big fit. How about you? How often do you trim your cat's nails?

• Like 1

Missy will not let me trim her nails if she's not in a mellow mood. Not at all. But only twice I think since we've had her did she downright refuse 😹 She usually is an angel about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have scratching posts around our house, and our vet has never mentioned that the girls need their nails trimming. I think they are doing a good job keeping them kept using the posts. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:50 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I hear my buddy talk about always having trouble with his cat and has even lost a shirt to holding the cat in place while trying to trim their nails.

Some cats hate getting their nails cut, that's for sure.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:48 AM, Lee said:

We have scratching posts around our house, and our vet has never mentioned that the girls need their nails trimming. I think they are doing a good job keeping them kept using the posts. 

Our girls have 3 scratching posts, but they still need their nails trimmed. 😺

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 2:38 AM, Soulwatcher said:

Our girls have 3 scratching posts, but they still need their nails trimmed. 😺

I mentioned it to our vet and she says the recommendation in the UK is not to cut cats nails and if you feel they aren’t taking care of it themselves, bring them to a vet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee said:

I mentioned it to our vet and she says the recommendation in the UK is not to cut cats nails and if you feel they aren’t taking care of it themselves, bring them to a vet. 

We have indoor cats and their nails need to be cut, or they can start turning under. Not to mention that they get razor sharp, and they can hurt each other, or they can hurt us and not mean to.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Elseb said:

It's such a difficult job with my two cats, I struggle at times but it's a job that has to be done. I generally do it when they're about to eat, makes it slightly easier.

My wife has to wait until the cats relax on her lap or they put up a fight lol. 🤣

11 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

My wife has to wait until the cats relax on her lap or they put up a fight lol. 🤣

Yeah it's a real nightmare. I hate the idea of doing it as it can be such a struggle at times!