Does your cat have a scratching post?

Having a scratching post is a great way to keep your cat from clawing furniture. Our Alice and Missy have the cat tree that has 7 scratching posts, and they have a huge scratching post that is just for scratching. How about you? Does your cat have a scratching post?

When we had Smokey, we always made sure she had a scratching post as she used to scratch the furniture instead without one. It took a while but when we saw her heading for the furniture to scratch, we would tell her no and move her to the scratch post and she soon got the hang of it and left the furniture alone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shortie said:

When we had Smokey, we always made sure she had a scratching post as she used to scratch the furniture instead without one. It took a while but when we saw her heading for the furniture to scratch, we would tell her no and move her to the scratch post and she soon got the hang of it and left the furniture alone. 

That's what we had to do with Missy when we first got her. We had to tell her no and show her the scratching post. I always tell the girls "Good Girl" when ever they use the scratching post. And they never scratch on the furniture.

6 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I see a scratching post in every cat house I go to, but the cats never use it lol.

Awwwwww..... We had to train Missy by taking her paw and rubbing on the scratching post and she got the hang of it pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Your cat will still find a chair to scratch on yet lol.

Our girls are good girls, they only scratch the scratching post. Our recliners are still like new. 😾😾

P.S. it took a lot of training, but it was worth it.

Ours ripped our sofa the day we got it 😄

They don’t scratch it any more though, but the damage is done.

Also we have two scratching posts at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

What training keeps them from doing that?

Was it an older cat or was the litter box dirty? Because sometimes an older cat can not make it to the liter box if its too far away. Which means you should have a liter box in every room. And if the liter box is dirty, that cat may act out if the box is dirty. And as far as the scratching goes, you need to tell them no when they scratch on the furniture and take them to the cat scratcher and rub their paws on it and in our case we have girls so we would tell them "good girl, good girl". They picked up on it really quick, which was good for us.

3 hours ago, Lee said:

Ours have never (that I know) urinated anywhere in our home intentionally. 

That's wonderful, I know in your other post you said you change the litter box every day. And that will for sure keep your cats happy.