Do you prefer to adopt a kitten or an adult feline?

I have adopted all kittens in the last 25+ years, except for Alice and Missy. And I must say I now prefer to adopt an older feline. Kittens get into way too many tings, not to mention that they LOVE to chew cords and about anything they can sink their teeth into. And with an older feline they are more mellow and hardly get into anything, and they are out of the chewing phase. How about you? Do you prefer to adopt a kitten or an adult feline?

4 hours ago, Cpvr said:

I’ve always preferred to adopt kittens instead of adult felines. It’s a better feeling to watch them grow up.

I agree I do get a good feeling when they grow up. It's the process of them getting into everything and chewing everything they can get their teeth on that I don't like. If it wasn't for that I would want a kitten every time. Having said that I do feel the same bond with Alice and Missy that I would feel if I raised a kitten.

• Like 1

Aww that's sweet. Yes, kittens can be challenging and rewarding. I've had them from newborn to elderly and I prefer boy cats 🤣🤣🤣 Seriously though, I prefer 2 years and up boy cats. They are out of their wild stage and I've always found them SOOO much more affectionate than girl cats! Having said all that, we have two very very good girls and I wouldn't trade them for anything 😽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only adopt baby animals too, cats, dogs, hamsters, anything really. I have small children of my own and adult animals are not used to the noise and behaviour of a child

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee said:

I only adopt baby animals too, cats, dogs, hamsters, anything really. I have small children of my own and adult animals are not used to the noise and behaviour of a child

That does make sense, we live a quiet life, so adult cats are ok for us.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I were thinking about getting a adult cat prior to getting Mochi, but once we seen that someone nearby had kittens we decided to go with a kitten. Mochi was the only boy in his litter, and we were going to get one of his sisters originally but the woman giving the kittens away thought we would be a better fit since the person who was originally going to get him had young kids and probably would have been way too overwhelming for him. I rather adopt a kitten, but it also breaks my heart to see older cats being dropped off at a shelter and not finding a forever home. 😞

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ravenfreak said:

it also breaks my heart to see older cats being dropped off at a shelter and not finding a forever home

It does suck for sure, but there are people like my wife (Toletia) and myself who prefer to adopt an older cat. 

P.S. I would die if something happened to our home and we had to get rid of our cats. I don't see how people can just do off a pet that they have had for years at a shelter.

5 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

It does suck for sure, but there are people like my wife (Toletia) and myself who prefer to adopt an older cat. 

P.S. I would die if something happened to our home and we had to get rid of our cats. I don't see how people can just do off a pet that they have had for years at a shelter.

Good to give an older cat love, but they wouldn't be around as long 😞 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

Personally, I would prefer to have them adopted as kittens because that's going to allow me start bonding with them at a very young age. 

Missy doesn't like to be held for too long. I have been working with her for years now. When we first got her no one could hold her at all.  If we had her as a kitten I think she would like being held.  But I am still glad we got her as a rescue because we love her so much. ❤️