We're now running on a VPS!

I started this website on shared hosting and it was a major mistake. I had problems with the host as soon as the website went live. Furthermore, I have since moved the website to a VPS and moved away from shared hosting. The VPS is scalable, so I can increase the size of the VPS as we grow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cpvr said:

Good thinking on moving to a vps! A VPS server should keep this forum running smoothly for along time. 🙂

It's a medium size VPS from Digital Ocean that can scale up in a few minutes. However, this VPS size should be good enough for a long time. I am pleased with it.  and the cost is reasonable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 5:28 PM, Soulwatcher said:

I started this website on shared hosting and it was a major mistake. I had problems with the host as soon as the website went live. Furthermore, I have since moved the website to a VPS and moved away from shared hosting. The VPS is scalable, so I can increase the size of the VPS as we grow.

What's the monthly cost? I'm on a 3/mo shared host, and can't do more than that at the moment. So I may be stuck with shared hosting until I have a job, and at that time can move to a 5-6/mo VPS to start. Since I've already paid for a year of the shared hosting, I could convert it to something else and let it expire later once I do move over.

21 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

My VPS is overkill and it's $55 a month. Idk why but a week ago I had high CPU usage and a high load at night. But it's gone now and I am going to be down sizing soon.

I wonder if there were certain spam ips hitting your server at night. I was having this issue as well on my server recently. They were coming from various china ips. I ended up ip banning them. Most of the ips started with 101.44.249 or 101.44.248. A lot of other webmasters were having this same issue. They were discussing it on reddit.

Edited by Cpvr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cpvr said:

I wonder if there were certain spam ips hitting your server at night. I was having this issue as well on my server recently. They were coming from various china ips. I ended up ip banning them. Most of the ips started with 101.44.249 or 101.44.248. A lot of other webmasters were having this same issue. They were discussing it on reddit.

Do you have a link? Because I sure would like to ban them. I think I can do it on the Digital Ocean firewall.

57 minutes ago, Soulwatcher said:

Do you have a link? Because I sure would like to ban them. I think I can do it on the Digital Ocean firewall.

Yes, I do. There’s a list of ip’s on the reddit topic too. Poland has been spending spam traffic to other webmasters as well, but I’m not too if they’re they’re spoofing ips from china too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/s/Cb6qm1cTj4

Edited by Cpvr