Are kids too rough with kittens and cats?

Posted (edited)

I think they can be.  In that case, I'm not sure if I'd want cats, kittens, dogs, puppies etc. around them.  Anyway, though, I know kids love animals, in fact, probably way more than adults. 

Edited by Jason

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I think they can be.  In that case, I'm not sure if I'd want cats, kittens, dogs, puppies etc. around them.  Anyway, though, I know kids love animals, in fact, probably way more than adults. 

I think if you have a mild manner cat then it would be ok to have a cat around kids. My 6-year-old grandson was raised with 4 cats all his life and never had a problem.

I was raised with cats and kittens and I was very very careful with them. I guess it just depends on the child, a cat will quickly tell you if they're not feeling comfortable!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elseb said:

a cat will quickly tell you if they're not feeling comfortable!

That is a fact, if a cat hisses or growls it's time to leave it alone.  Also sometimes their tail will puff up or flap back and forth.

7 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

That is a fact, if a cat hisses or growls it's time to leave it alone.  Also sometimes their tail will puff up or flap back and forth.

Always pay attention to this stuff, or you will end up with a bad scratch.

• Like 1

I feel that in some cases, kids can be a little too rough with kittens and cats until they are told otherwise or it is explained to them that being rough with them will hurt them.

• Like 1

I think maybe a young kid might be that’s like a year or two old, but if you’re watching them and the cat hisses at them, it’s time to take the cat away from them.

But older kids, I don’t think so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cpvr said:

I think maybe a young kid might be that’s like a year or two old, but if you’re watching them and the cat hisses at them, it’s time to take the cat away from them.

But older kids, I don’t think so.

It just depends on the temperament of the cat. My daughter's cats let my grandson pick them up and carry them when he was 2 years old.

• Like 1