How does your cat handle the heat?

Summer is fast approaching and the summer heat is already here. Yesterday was 81* and today right now its 77* with a real feel of 84. And when the weather is like this our cats Alice and Missy lay around the house and don't do much. How about you? How does your cat handle the heat?

• Like 1

My cats generally will sit in the conservatory and try and keep in the shade so they don't overheat. Delicate balance for them as they do like a bit of heat.

• Like 2

Smokey always hated the heat during the summer months. Each year it would get hotter and we would have frequent heat waves and she always struggled in them. 

The year she passed, July 2022, a few weeks later we had the hottest heatwave we have ever had and I was thankful that she did not have to go through that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shortie said:

Smokey always hated the heat during the summer months. Each year it would get hotter and we would have frequent heat waves and she always struggled in them. 

The year she passed, July 2022, a few weeks later we had the hottest heatwave we have ever had and I was thankful that she did not have to go through that. 

Do you have air conditioning? I was told a lot of people in England do not have it because it doesn't get as hot over there as it does in the United States.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:21 PM, Soulwatcher said:

Do you have air conditioning? I was told a lot of people in England do not have it because it doesn't get as hot over there as it does in the United States.

Yeah I don't have it, we just use electrical fans. I'd love an air conditioning system though, would be cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elseb said:

Yeah I don't have it, we just use electrical fans. I'd love an air conditioning system though, would be cool.

It gets extremely hot here in Michigan during the summer. I would die if I didn't have air because of my meds I don't sweat. And I overheat quickly.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:17 AM, Soulwatcher said:

It gets extremely hot here in Michigan during the summer. I would die if I didn't have air because of my meds I don't sweat. And I overheat quickly.

Oh wow, that must be so difficult! You must have to stay in the shade a lot when you're out and about i guess?

5 hours ago, Elseb said:

Oh wow, that must be so difficult! You must have to stay in the shade a lot when you're out and about i guess?

Our Van has air conditioning and all of the stores we go to have air conditioning too. Also, we don't go out on the 90*+ days unless we have to.

On 5/7/2024 at 4:35 PM, Progrumz said:

We always have the inside climate controlled, so it never really gets hot enough to bother the cat. Even if it did get hot, I doubt it would bother her much. She's pretty lazy.

That is awesome that your cat has climate control. I bet she is enjoying it.

5 hours ago, Elseb said:

My house is really warm today and the cats have been laid out of the floor all day, think they've enjoyed it though!

Awwww....... it has been hot here today too and even though we have our window air conditioning on our girls are laid out in bed. Our window air conditioning can only cool so much.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, Elseb said:

Been really hot here over the last few days, especially inside my house. We've had to get the fans out for the cats, they've been finding it a bit tough.

Awwww.... poor babies, I know there is nothing you can do besides bring out the fans. And I respect you for getting the fans out for them.