Have you ever had an animal catch a cold?

Soulwatcher

I would say 20 years or so ago I had a guinea pig and he caught a cold. He couldn't stop coughing. So I took him to the vet and they gave him some medicine and 2 vet visits and $200 later he was cured. And that was the only animal that I had that caught a cold. How about you? Have you ever had an animal catch a cold?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elseb said:

We had a cat which was born with only one eye because her mum had Cat Flu when she was born. She ended up living until over 20 years old! Not bad for the "runt" of the litter.

Wow that's crazy, how did she do with one eye? Was she able to see well? And I'm happy to hear that she lived a long life of 20 years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

Wow that's crazy, how did she do with one eye? Was she able to see well? And I'm happy to hear that she lived a long life of 20 years.

Yeah she was absolutely fine, you wouldn't have known it without seeing her eye. I guess she never knew what it was like to have two eyes so she just got on with it. Lovely cat as well!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elseb said:

Yeah she was absolutely fine, you wouldn't have known it without seeing her eye. I guess she never knew what it was like to have two eyes so she just got on with it. Lovely cat as well!

That's good to hear, I basically have one good eye. My left eye had a stroke and has about 40% of the vision it once had. It took a month or more to get used to always looking out my right eye.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:58 PM, Soulwatcher said:

That's good to hear, I basically have one good eye. My left eye had a stroke and has about 40% of the vision it once had. It took a month or more to get used to always looking out my right eye.

Wow, really sorry to hear that. Do you close your left eye a lot or have you just got used to the limited vision in that eye?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elseb said:

Wow, really sorry to hear that. Do you close your left eye a lot or have you just got used to the limited vision in that eye?

It's ok, it happened 10 years ago and I am used to the limited vision in that eye. I use it for peripheral vision and that's about it. Because it is blurry if I try and look out it to see.

• Like 1

My sister and brother had a cat that was deathly ill during the pandemic. $2,500 later they couldn't find what was wrong with her. She was in the hospital and near death for several days. They kept her on an IV and meds for a couple days. We later figured it must've been COVID, after the news said other cats and dogs all over were contracting it. She slowly recuperated and was adopted out to an older lady. She sends my sister pics every so often. That cat and her new momma are the best of friends. They spoil each other.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 1:11 AM, Toletia said:

My sister and brother had a cat that was deathly ill during the pandemic. $2,500 later they couldn't find what was wrong with her. She was in the hospital and near death for several days. They kept her on an IV and meds for a couple days. We later figured it must've been COVID, after the news said other cats and dogs all over were contracting it. She slowly recuperated and was adopted out to an older lady. She sends my sister pics every so often. That cat and her new momma are the best of friends. They spoil each other.

It's great that they're going on so well! I can't believe it cost $2,500 though, vet prices are ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 6:09 AM, Soulwatcher said:

They are ridiculous because they know people who love their animals will pay, and if you don't have money they will suggest you put them down and still charge you $100.

Yup the amount of stories I've heard like this is ridiculous. It's just horrible tbh

• Like 1