Do you give your cat hairball control food?

Hairballs are not a problem in our house. Alice and Missy might get 1 hairball each a year. But I do know that hairballs are a problem with some cats, and they need hairball control food. How about you? Do you give your cat hairball control food?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, Soulwatcher said:

Hairballs are not a problem in our house. Alice and Missy might get 1 hairball each a year. But I do know that hairballs are a problem with some cats, and they need hairball control food. How about you? Do you give your cat hairball control food?

I used to know a cat that had very bad hairball troubles. I would give her a lickable all the time and she rarely threw up hairballs when she ate them. I figured it could be because it's wet food. IDK though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elseb said:

My cats barely get hairballs as they're short haired but I've had long haired cats before and it can be a real problem.

Alice has short hair and she had 1 hairball since I came into her life. And Missy has medium hair and she has had 3 or 4 hairballs since we got her. And like you said it is a real problem with long hair cats. Because I know from experience, I had 2 long-haired cats and I would say probably once a month I would find a hairball somewhere.

11 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Guessing it must be the hair from their tongues?

Pretty much and the amount of hair they are digesting into their stomach, it has to come out one way or another!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lee said:

No, we don't have a problem with hairballs. 

I must admit, I didn't even know there was a special food. 

That's a good thing you don't have problems with hairballs. Because they come out warm and soggy and they gross me out. My wife (Toletia)  has to clean them up because I would probably throw up cleaning one up lol. 🤣

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

True, not sure if the front or rear would be worse.

Trust me, them throwing them is much better and easier! Won't go into detail but I've dealt with a blockage before and it's not good!

10 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

Oh no that's not good at all was your cat ok? Did it live through the blockage?

Unfortunately not, she was very old and just stopped eating and had a blockage. We and the vets tried everything but we just couldn't do anything. It was heartbreaking. 😞 

7 hours ago, Elseb said:

We and the vets tried everything but we just couldn't do anything. It was heartbreaking

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how painful it can be to lose a loved one. I didn't ever think I would stop crying when Wrath died.

17 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how painful it can be to lose a loved one. I didn't ever think I would stop crying when Wrath died.

Unfortunately having a pet is also knowing that one day you will have to say goodbye to them, it's awful but you only feel awful because of how good life is with them.

22 minutes ago, Elseb said:

Unfortunately having a pet is also knowing that one day you will have to say goodbye to them, it's awful but you only feel awful because of how good life is with them.

I hate saying goodbye to pets, Alice is 13 almost 14 and she has a lot of gray hair now. I just hope she lives to 20+ because I can't imagine my life without my little ESA. (Emotional Support Animal)