What was your first ever pet?

Cpvr

What was the first pet that you ever had that become a new addition to your family? Was it a dog, a cat, a fish, a bird? For me, the first pet that ever became a new addition to my family was  a dog.

• Like 1

I had a tabby cat called Kitty, which is the first pet I can remember. 

Not long after we got a spaniel called Ged. He was the best dog I have ever adopted even now. I miss him every day of my life.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:28 PM, fords8 said:

A fish was my 1st pet. Next was a dog and a cat.

I’ve had fish as pets before too. I think a goldfish was the first one that I had or a beta fish was. I don’t remember which one was first though. I was pretty young when my parents got them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cpvr said:

I’ve had fish as pets before too. I think a goldfish was the first one that I had or a beta fish was. I don’t remember which one was first though. I was pretty young when my parents got them.

The only fish that I ever had we're piranha's. I had 4 of them that were full grown and they were eating over $10 a week In feeder fish and that was 20+ years ago.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 5:42 PM, Soulwatcher said:

The only fish that I ever had we're piranha's. I had 4 of them that were full grown and they were eating over $10 a week In feeder fish and that was 20+ years ago.

How long did you have them for? They’re pretty nice fish!

8 hours ago, Shortie said:

My first ever pet was a cat back when I was young. After that, we also had birds, fish, mice, gerbils and hamsters. 

What type of birds did you have? Some of my friends had parrots. 

4 hours ago, fords8 said:

Gold fish just don't last to long I don't think.

Unfortunately they didn’t. they only lasted 4 or 5 months.

Edited by Cpvr

35 minutes ago, Cpvr said:

How long did you have them for? They’re pretty nice fish!

I had them for over a year, they were aggressive when they were young, but they were lazy when they got older. And they ate a ton of feeder fish. I wouldn't recommend them as pets.

Goldfish can live for many years. We have two at the moment and they are healthy and around 4 years old. 

They are dirty fish and need a much bigger tank than people expect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fords8 said:

Where are you buying these gold fish at? And what types of setup do you have to keep them years?

I was getting the feeder fish from the pet store, and they are in a 55 gallon fish tank. They were eating so many feeder fish that my mom got rid of them one day what I was at work. I was so made, but I got over it. And then I gave the fish tank away.

P.S. if they didn't have all those feeder fish, they would fight each other.

22 hours ago, fords8 said:

Where are you buying these gold fish at? And what types of setup do you have to keep them years?

Any reputable pet store will tell you the same.

They take a much bigger tank than you expect, with good water flow and filtration (put them in a bowl with no air flow and they are as good as dead), are not good with smaller fish as they will eat them, and can only be with other goldfish they grew with or will fight, but goldfish can comfortably live for 10 years. 

IMG_8366.thumb.png.8fb3e5f8fc54258ad95dc5e1ac1dfa1e.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee said:

Any reputable pet store will tell you the same.

They take a much bigger tank than you expect, with good water flow and filtration (put them in a bowl with no air flow and they are as good as dead), are not good with smaller fish as they will eat them, and can only be with other goldfish they grew with or will fight, but goldfish can comfortably live for 10 years. 

IMG_8366.thumb.png.8fb3e5f8fc54258ad95dc5e1ac1dfa1e.png

WOW, Lee, thanks for sharing, I never knew goldfish could live so long. 10 to 15 year lifespan is amazing, I hope your goldfish live that long.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:06 PM, Lee said:

good water flow and filtration

Thats why mine never lived. I used to just toss them in a bowl of water. Feed them and clean the water. I was a kid and didn't know much. Never was into fish after that. Unless I was fishing.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:06 AM, Cpvr said:

What type of birds did you have? Some of my friends had parrots. 

Growing up we had budgies and cockatiels. My dad had one who lived for years which he called Mickey, he was a cockatiel. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 3:00 PM, Shortie said:

Growing up we had budgies and cockatiels. My dad had one who lived for years which he called Mickey, he was a cockatiel. 

Was your cockatail able to say anything or just bird talk? If it did, What words did your cockatiel like to say?