The negative affects of Dry Food

Elseb

What are your experiences with dry food and cats? Personally, I'm very careful with it as i don't think the "off the shelf" brands are very good and they dehydrate your cat and cause kidney problems.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Elseb said:

What are your experiences with dry food and cats? Personally, I'm very careful with it as i don't think the "off the shelf" brands are very good and they dehydrate your cat and cause kidney problems.

I agree. I don't think too highly of dry cat food. We do feed it to our girls though. They both have gravity feeders that allow them to graze as they please. But they get moist cat food every day at 10:00 am and pm. Greg and I just discussed this the other day, and after our two girls pass (which shouldn't be for awhile), we are getting a boy tuxedo cat. We decided that he'll only ever have moist cat food. Male cats are far more prone to kidney and urinary tract issues than females. Although one of our grandcats (17 year old Malo) has had chronic bladder issues. Crystals forming, etc. She's on special food and has caused a big vet bill a few times. We feed our girls a supposedly high quality dry food, but I'm not a fan!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 6:18 PM, Toletia said:

I agree. I don't think too highly of dry cat food. We do feed it to our girls though. They both have gravity feeders that allow them to graze as they please. But they get moist cat food every day at 10:00 am and pm. Greg and I just discussed this the other day, and after our two girls pass (which shouldn't be for awhile), we are getting a boy tuxedo cat. We decided that he'll only ever have moist cat food. Male cats are far more prone to kidney and urinary tract issues than females. Although one of our grandcats (17 year old Malo) has had chronic bladder issues. Crystals forming, etc. She's on special food and has caused a big vet bill a few times. We feed our girls a supposedly high quality dry food, but I'm not a fan!

It's a really difficult one isn't it? It doesn't help that most cats don't drink a lot either so you need to be careful that they're not having too much dry food.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Elseb said:

It's a really difficult one isn't it? It doesn't help that most cats don't drink a lot either so you need to be careful that they're not having too much dry food.

It's a crying shame that they can sell food that is hurtful to cats in the long run. But then again they sell food that's harmful to humans. It's crazy how businesses can get away with selling that crap to us.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:42 AM, Soulwatcher said:

It's a crying shame that they can sell food that is hurtful to cats in the long run. But then again they sell food that's harmful to humans. It's crazy how businesses can get away with selling that crap to us.

Yeah it's annoying as hell and the fact Vet bills are so high really doesn't help the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elseb said:

Yeah it's annoying as hell and the fact Vet bills are so high really doesn't help the situation.

The vet bills are crazy, when Frankey got those crystals so bad that they wanted to turn him into a girl cat/ They wanted $3200 and there was no guarantee that he would have lived. So I ended up putting him down. If they had said he would be fixed I would have spent the money on him.

12 hours ago, Soulwatcher said:

The vet bills are crazy, when Frankey got those crystals so bad that they wanted to turn him into a girl cat/ They wanted $3200 and there was no guarantee that he would have lived. So I ended up putting him down. If they had said he would be fixed I would have spent the money on him.

It's a terrible situation to be put in, they're basically saying pay us a huge amount of money or your car will need to die. It's absolutely horrible. I really hate Vets!

5 hours ago, Elseb said:

It's a terrible situation to be put in, they're basically saying pay us a huge amount of money or your car will need to die. It's absolutely horrible. I really hate Vets!

It was horrible and I hate the fact that vets prey on people's heartstrings. Most people will do anything for their pets and they know it.

2 hours ago, Elseb said:

If anybody is interested in reading, there was a study done in 2008 regarding the effects of dry food on cats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2387258/

That was a really good read, and if I could afford it I would give the girls nothing but wet food. But they are already eating $40 a month on wet food and we would have to double that and I just don't have $80 a month for cat food. Because I am on a fixed income and it's rough I do the best I can do for our girls. They get wet food at 10 am and 10 pm and they graze on dry food during the day but it is not their main meal.